Proposal for CD count in FC4

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Feb 21 22:04:00 UTC 2005

Here is my proposal:

Given that x86_64 platform will remain at 5CDs unless we do something
drastic, and that FC5 is targeted to have the ability to install from
other repos during anaconda install, we allow FC4 to ship with a 5CD
count for both (all) archs.  Then we target FC5 to move some packages to
Extras, and some packages to an online RH controlled repo much like the
RHEL extras.  Its still RH maintained, but not shipped on the CD iso
sets.  This would allow us to drop down to 2CDs or so in size for the
shippable media, but still allow installing to the full package set.

A side goal would be to ease the process to create installs sets from a
given package list.  This would allow people that have done one install
using various repos to create a CD set from those packages and
redistribute.

Yes I know this brings up the problem that the CDs themselves do not
represent the entire Fedora Core product, something that RH has been
against for a long time (notice the lack of Magazine versions of Red Hat
Linux and FC), but given the emergence of Fedora Extras, I think this
has become less of an issue.

Thoughts?

Was I helpful?  Let others know: