FC4 slimfast slimfest

Ralf Ertzinger fedora-devel at camperquake.de
Tue Feb 22 13:56:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:21:13AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> As I understand it, this will be possible in FC5 when Extras can be
> supported similarly. I think we should wait for FC5 before undertaking
> the task of slimming i386 down to 4 CDs. The PPC and x86_64 releases are
> going to be 5CDs anyway.

Unless I am very much mistaken, this is possible right now. If you put all
the Java stuff on CD 5 (for example), and do not select any of it in the
anaconda, then anaconda will not request the fifth CD, so you do not need
it. In a similar way, I'd put all the development stuff on a seperate CD,
too (*-devel, gcc), so you'd be able to skip downloading that if you know
that you'd want a non-developer desktop, anyway.

And yes, I personally consider a Unix without a compiler crippled. But I
do not mind downloading that extra CD, either. But for the people I give
FC to (my girlfriend, my parents...) the devel part is just wasted space.