Exim as default MTA.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Feb 23 12:49:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 06:25 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> The only suggestion I have for the default config file is to use the
> defered_ok switch on the malware and spam ACL entries.  I uncommented
> the acl_smtp_data = acl_check_content line and my server promptly
> started rejecting mail because I don't have sophie installed.  If
> defered_ok had been used, the mail would have come through just fine.

If you really mean 'rejecting' mail then let me know and I'll look into
it right now. If as I suspect you just mean 'deferring' -- it was giving
a temporary error and no mail was lost, then I'm less sure.

One might argue that deferral is the correct behaviour -- if you enabled
the spam checking and your spamd is broken, it's better to keep the mail
in the queue elsewhere until your spamd is fixed than it is to just
accept the incoming mail, spam and all.

If the checking were enabled by default then I'd agree with you -- but
since you have to actually _ask_ for spam checking, I'm inclined to
suggest that it's better the way it is.

We can certainly add the defer_ok option to the comments though, so it
stares you in the face if you do enable the checking. Would that be
sufficient?

--
dwmw2