Exim as default MTA.

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 14:47:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 22:10 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 21:59 +0000, Carwyn Edwards wrote:
>>How does the argument stack up against postfix? I've found postfix +
>>procmail (optional) + dovecot + squirrelmail (optional) to be very easy
>>to manage.
>
>I haven't had that much experience of postfix.

One data point I'd like to add to this is that specifically in the
Fedora context (i.e. outside of the general exim vs postfix debate),
Postfix has the advantage in that its design (multiple independent
mutually untrusting processes¹) allows a strong SELinux policy to be
easily applied, further enhancing Postfix's already good security.

Exim re-execs itself to drop privilege, but this doesn't work well with
SELinux without source code changes (unwritten as of yet AFAIK) to
determine which context to transition to.

¹ http://www.postfix.org/big-picture.html