Exim as default MTA.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 23 15:08:24 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> said:
> One data point I'd like to add to this is that specifically in the
> Fedora context (i.e. outside of the general exim vs postfix debate),
> Postfix has the advantage in that its design (multiple independent
> mutually untrusting processes¹) allows a strong SELinux policy to be
> easily applied, further enhancing Postfix's already good security.

I would definately give the edge to Postfix then.

I use sendmail everywhere myself, but for my main servers I have to roll
my own RPMs anyway to get additional things turned on (also I use the
same source RPM on Linux, Tru64, and Solaris).  Having sendmail removed
wouldn't bother me.

The biggest question is still the upgrade issue; if sendmail is removed
from Core, what will happen on upgrades?  Users will be left with the
old version of sendmail running.

What would be "nice" would be a hack in anaconda to check for a default
config sendmail install (i.e. nothing has been changed since install)
and replace it with the new default MTA (postfix or exim).  If anything
has changed, just leave it alone.  There currently isn't really a way to
handle changing the default provider of a service from one package to
another.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>