reducing distribution CD count

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Thu Feb 24 20:25:24 UTC 2005

Bill Nottingham wrote:

>Gene C. (czar at czarc.net) said:
>

>>2. Lets say something major which a lot of users will want is move out of the
>>"core core" and into a secondary "repository" which will still be fully
>>maintained by Red Hat employees.  No flaming intended, but lets say this is
>>kde and all kde associated applications.  Now that would be a big chunk but
>>it would also be something a lot of users would want.  What is the current
>>thinking about how this "secondary repository" will be available to the user?
>>Furthermore, this must be done in such a manner that it is obvious that Red
>>Hat is NOT slighting the packages involved.
>>

>I don't see the reason why something like this would need to exist.
>It's almost sounds like a slight against Extras, that people wouldn't
>want to use it.

I dont think that it was intended as a slight but rather a response to
the general hands off approach [seemingly] surrounding extras. What Gene
was getting at i think was that RetHat expressed its desire to drop the
aforementioned packages becuase of space limitation on the distribution
media not developer maintenance limitations. Perhaps i am
misunderstanding both the nature of extras and the intent of the
original author but this is the feeling i have from the outside as well.
As a result i think he was looking for a safe place for RedHat to
continue maintenance of these packages even if they arent distributed by
default (for obvious reasons). Is it a misstatement that packages in
extras are relinquished to community maintenance? or does redhat
continue maintenance as well?
-mf