FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 25 14:53:25 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> said:
> If it's built against
> versions of shared libraries which are no longer present, then I believe
> the installer will have removed the old version of those libraries and
> will have left the package in question broken.

Do you have evidence to back that up?  Does anaconda somehow disable the
normal dependency checking?  Normally, rpm would refuse to remove a
library that is still required by another installed RPM.

I can see that you would be unable to upgrade if:

- existing RPM xyzzy required libfoo.so.1
- existing RPM libfoo-1.0 provides libfoo.so.1
- RPM xyzzy was moved from Core to Extras (so unavailable for FC4 install)
- new RPM libfoo-2.0 provides libfoo.so.2
- new RPM system-config-bar requires libfoo.so.2 and is in the default install

If there isn't a compat-libfoo that provides libfoo.so.1, you would be
stuck.  The question is: what would anaconda do in that case?  Would it
abort installation because dependencies cannot be satisfied, or would it
attempt to upgrade anyway (and break either RPM xyzzy or RPM
system-config-bar)?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>