FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Feb 25 15:47:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 10:08 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>anaconda does disable normal dep checking if it can't resolve something,
>that's true - however, it doesn't remove stuff.

Let's consider an example. You have an FC2 system with Acrobat 7
installed, which uses libcurl.so.2.

You update to FC3. What does anaconda do with the curl-7.11.1-1 package
and hence /usr/lib/libcurl.so.2? Does it not remove it and replace it
with a new package that no longer provides libcurl.so.2?

My understanding is that anaconda will remove the old curl package and
install a new one, and that the Acrobat reader will no longer run. Are
you suggesting that that's that _not_ what happens? That anaconda
doesn't remove stuff? That out-of-Core packages don't ever get broken by
upgrades?

By FC5, anaconda should handle Extras properly and everything should be
fine. We can start moving packages to Extras in a controlled fashion and
cut Core down to a minimum -- that makes a lot of sense.

What _doesn't_ make sense is doing it right now in a mad rush.
Especially if we're not going to achieve the goal of cutting the i386
install to 4 CDs anyway -- regardless of the question of whether that's
a worthwhile thing to be attempting in the first place.

--
dwmw2