Package pruning for FC4 and beyond

Eric Warnke eric at snowmoon.com
Sat Feb 26 14:24:40 UTC 2005

Round 3... all cage rule apply.. new items on the lists

Removed from consiteration
*electricfence - multiplatform .. see new additions*
*doxygen - core must be self hosting*
Xaw3d - required by emacs and emacs is being kept
bogl* - kernel 2.2 fb graphics lib d:0 ( should update dependancies here
if it's required by the installer! )
epic/irssi?  epic is there and it's the only text mode irc client unless
we want to swap it out for irssi

Ojections, but I still believe could be moved.

dovecot - IPAP server - 2 objections, but if you can server to the
internet, you can download it from extras.  Ether this or cyrus should
be cut.

*lynx/elinks - 1 objection about scripts using lynx... ether those
scripts are not part of core or they are not marked correctly.  If you
can surf the web with either, you can download them from extras.  If
either has a dependancy in core the .src.rpm needs to be corrected.
Personally I think lynx should go to extras.*

*SDL - kdeaddons is the only thing that depends on this. 1 objection.
Would be nice to have in core, but is really not a core function since
nothing in core depends on it.  Anything that is going to require it can
pull it down from extras.*
+ kdeaddons - small add on packages. not 100% necessary.

*New additions to the likley list*
dmalloc, valgrind - electricence appears to be more compatible and
better developed.
freeglut - library with no dependancy in core
fsh - obscure shell, features absorbed into OpenSSH
giftrans - netpbm tools can do the same
iptstate - package getting stale
jed - another text mode editor
joe - yet another text editor ( nano / pico / emacs / ed / vi )
lftp - useful ftp client ( ftp, ncftp ) D:0

Likley without objections
Canna - Superceeded by IIMF - nothing depends ! 10MB
MAKEDEV - Superceeded by udev ?
*VFlib2 - Required by MajicPoint and ghostscript - only if we can break
the ghostscript compatibility
+ MagicPoint - Duplicated functionality already in other packages
a2ps - text to postscript tool required by xfprint
awesfx - OLD ( 2000 ) D:0
cdecl - C/C++ to English conversion D:0
dasher - obscure alternate input method ! 10MB
apel - extras for emacs
+ ddskk - extra input methods for emacs
+ flim - message encoding emacs
+ wl - imap/pop/nntp reader
arptables_jf - specialized filtering of arp D:0
cscope - c code browser - duplicate effort D:0

Possible without objections
Guppi
ccs - cluster config?
cdlabelgen - does anyone use? D:0
autorun - functionality in most desktops already d:0
freeradius - complex package d:0
ftpcopy - utility D:0.  I have never used it, do we need in core
g-wrap - Another wrapper for a development utility d:0
h2ps - another postscript generator D:0

Cheers,
Eric

--

Eric Warnke                   Computer Programmer / Systems Analyst
eric at snowmoon.com                                      518-727-1523

'There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat,
plausible, and wrong.' - H.L. Mencken