FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Feb 26 17:55:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 01:39 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>hey, wait a second. You're a programmer aren't you? would you like to
>contribute to fedora extras? I bet you could come up with a way to make
>isos from Fedora Extras!

Making ISOs from Extras isn't hard, and isn't the problem. Please do try
to keep up with the conversation.

The problem is not just that there are no ISOs of Extras yet -- the
problem is that that anaconda won't handle external repositories until
FC5, whether you can get them onto an ISO or not.

>That's fantastic, thanks for volunteering instead of just being another
>complaining voice w/o a solution.

You're being deliberately misleading again. Alex offered his preferred
solution on fedora-maintainers list, and isn't 'just complaining'. Look
for Message-ID <orpsyoqueb.fsf at livre.redhat.lsd.ic.unicamp.br>

I fully support Fedora Extras. I've set up a build box for Extras on
FC3/PPC and have made a yum repository available. I'm currently trying
to work out where to find a spare build box (or enough disk space for a
buildroot) for the FC4 version. I'll make ISOs for it when anaconda can
handle them too. But that's not the stumbling block.

Extras is good -- but it's not workable _yet_ as a mechanism for dumping
packages from Core. Packages we dump now, we have to accept that they
_are_ being dumped, just like the packages which were dumped for FC2. We
can't excuse it on the basis that "Extras will pick them up". That
doesn't work until FC5.

--
dwmw2