Xen: Installing guest VMs

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Sat Feb 26 21:36:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:16:24 -0500, I wrote:
<snip>
> You could even rewrite
> to run the ENTIRE install process on the host, without even booting the
> guest kernel, although my suspicion is that that route would involve an
> unnecessary amount of effort.

Also, it would be just creating an unnecessary amount of work. You'd
eventually have to ensure that the host-based installer worked on all
possible Xen hosts (which will some day include Windows, I suspect); from
a QA point of view I would think it would be wiser to stick with the "run
the installer on the guest VM" model. Python is (I hear) fairly portable,
but you'd have to ship separate installers containing separate builds of
python and gtk for each supported host platform, and test them all -
easier just to run anaconda in the guest.

--
Robin