[fedora-d-rh] Re: FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Feb 27 07:09:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 01:48 -0500, R P Herrold wrote:

>> it was decided by a group of red hat and non red hat fedora contributors
>> at the pre-fudcon meetings.
>> Mostly to keep the signal/noise ratio down.
>
>Yeah, backroom deals keep the riff-raff out and the surprise
>in a relationship, all right.  And the trains all run on time.
>It is just has little to do a democratic process.
>
>George Orwell had this one called: The only Community in
>Fedora is for those pigs who are more equal than others.  It
>is rank hypocrisy to proclaim oneself a community, when power
>and privilege of insider status are reserved to a small elite.

*yawn*

Russ you of all people should know that there's no benefit to asking
everyone for their opinion. It just gives you a lot of opinions, someone
still has to make the decisions.

Why is there a private caos-steering-committee, russ? Are you hiding
something? Is it hyprocrisy!?!!

no, it's not, it's just so we(I'm on it, remember?:) can talk about
things w/o worrying too much. How did people get on the steering
committee? Greg Asked us. No elections, it was based on people who had
done the work and helped out.

No democracy there.

There's no democracy in the people who lead ubuntu either.
nor in suse/novell
nor in slackware
gnome has board elections - but the people who are in control over gnome
is not the board the people in control of gnome work for novell and red
hat.

postfix is controlled completely by Wietse Venema
sendmail by sendmail co and eric allman

apache by the apache foundation whose membership is based on what? Their
contributions to the project, not on elections.

bind - entirely isc.

The kernel summit is invite only.

Open source is not about democracy. It's never been about democracy. It
is about social mobility w/i any organization. The ability to move up
(or down) in the social stratum.

You move up in terms of control and responsibility by doing the work. By
contributing. If you do not contribute, you don't get any
decision-making authority.

I will say this once again and for all, if anyone wants to find
themselves taking more responsibility in fedora ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS
TO DO THE WORK.

DO NOT WAIT. Do the work.

If you need help knowing what needs to be worked on. ASK.

-sv