ssh X forwarding change in FC3

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 21:48:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:18:39 -0500, Paul Iadonisi <pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to> wrote:
>   Though generally I agree it's a good idea to push stuff like this
> upstream, based on the last discussion on this list with one of the
> OpenSSH developers, I have to wonder if it's going to do any good in
> this case.

Oh i didnt say it would do any good ultimately.  My point is
upstream's perspective should be presented as early on in the
discussion as possible if there are rational reasons upstream used to
justify the change. If there aren't rational reasons, a reference to
an upstream discussion where the developers were told they are
on-crack would suffice.  Either upstream has a rational reason or they
don't, either way the discussion should happen upstream first and that
discussion cited as reference for downstream discussions.

>   And based on Havoc Pennington's recent response to this thread, if
> he's correct, then it's a silly default which should be reverted.

if....
I saw some assumption making about upstream's motivation.. i didn't
see a citation reference to an upstream discussion. I'd like to see
some effort to present upstream's point of view...fairly...before we
starting etching our guesses of their intentions in stone.  Maybe they
are actually crazy.... but i'd much rather see a reference to previous
upstream discussion that gives perspective, than watch a one-sided
argument.

-jef