HAL policies for port. music players

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Jan 10 22:29:37 UTC 2005

man, 10.01.2005 kl. 19.11 skrev Jeff Spaleta:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:38:53 -0600, Michael Favia
> <michael.favia at insitesinc.com> wrote:
> > Which is understandable and possible after the first time you tell it
> > what to do. I think that asking the user the first time which
> > application to use and possibly mounting parameters is an acceptable
> > inconvienence.
>
> I think you are somewhat on the same page as  David Zeuthen with
> regard to what direction should be taken to make hotpluggable devices
> more integrated in the desktop.  Whether or not the new system prompts
> for interaction by default or just notifies is a UI detail that could
> be argued about later... number 4 on David's list. The real trick  is
> bulding up the per-device configuration for each user and teaching the
> desktop ui how to access those per device properties.  I think David
> did a good job prioritizing the technical issues in his list.
>
> -jef

... And i don't want to be pestered by users demanding me to type the
root pasword every time they want to use their usb memory plug. When it
comes to those devices, it should be just plug'n'play. No fuss. Like it
is now.

Of cource, you could create a lot of fuzz, and having some ability to
tell the computer "don't allow anyone but user XYZ to mount memory plug
named foo". So what? Take the plug and stick it into another box, linux,
mac, or windows...

If you want such kind of security... encryption.

Not that i would oppose some nice GUI where you could log on as root and
define some special stuff (as the rest of fstab etc) - but not default?
It's a big enough pest to have to configure the DNS and install my
install-the-rest-of-the-software-from-server script on every machine...

Pluss, it might be a waste of developer time. What about getting a
proper gui for the package system? Would'nt that benefit the comunity
more?

Next question...