Fedora Core 4

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 17 16:34:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 10:50 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:34:33AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > then users can:
> > wget url://to/that/rpm
> > yum install /that/rpm
>
> Heh, maybe yum could support (for consistency with rpm):
>   yum install url://to/that/rpm

The thing I hate about that syntax is that it lets users do some very-
possibly stupid stuff w/o having to think very hard.

Making it a two step process at least makes them think a tiny bit more
about the very-possibly stupid act their about to undertake.

oh and for future reference: consistency with rpm's user interface is
not and will not be a design goal of yum development. It may end up that
way, occasionally, but it's not going to be something that drives my
decisions.

-sv