RFC: Optimizing for 386

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 17:12:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 17:05, Nick Bargnesi wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:00:01 +0100, Emmanuel Seyman <seyman at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:52:15PM +0000, Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> > >
> > > Pointing out the obvious why doesn't somebody test core 3 against a
> > > fully source built distro like Gentoo and see if the performance gains
> > > are real - thats not just benchmark, but perceived responsiveness. If
> >
> > Even better, test un unoptimized Gentoo against an optimized one.
> > That way, you'll have identical versions of tested software.
>
> That's the best suggestion.  In theory, I think optimized/unoptimized
> builds of gentoo leading to a comparison would support the main
> argument here.  I for one have built KDE from qt on up optimized
> versus unoptimized with no noticeable gain in anything.

True, my 1.3Ghz athlon doesnt even break a sweat in the CPU stakes doing
most jobs.

A request for core 4

If more people has the fantastic 'kcpuload' tool available it would give
them a better idea whats going on.  Its in the kde archive, can it go
back into core 4 as a default applet. Gnome has a good cpu monitor, but
the best one kde has is missing from core ?

Jon