rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Jan 21 15:29:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 16:01 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> dcbw at redhat.com (Dan Williams) writes:
>
> >> I would not spend much energy on such a port.  A Gtk port means AA
> >> fonts which are really a bad choice for text based applications.
> >> Current (X)Emacs have a startup-time <1 second so that it can be used
> >> as $EDITOR. With Gtk I fear, that this will be somewhere around 5-10
> >> seconds.
> >
> > Many GTK apps have startup times around 1s.  gedit, for example,
>
> not here (P4 2.6 GHz)... gedit needs 5-6 seconds to come up. On first
> startup it needs yet more as it has to start lots of Gnome programs.

I'd like to say that was far too slow, and it sounds a little slow,
but gedit does take 5 seconds or so to start on my laptop. (P3 1Ghz)

Some things you can try:

 - Make sure that your font caches is up to date (run fc-cache -f
   as root). I've seen people have this screwed up somehow before,
   though it theoretically should fall back to a homedir cache
   if the global caches aren't up-to-date.

 - Try using gtk-update-icon-cache

 - There's a patch in GTK+ CVS (will be in 2.6.2) that eliminates some
   excessive font lookup and loading action:

   2005-01-09  Anders Carlsson <andersca at gnome.org>

        * gtk/gtkcellrenderertext.c: (get_size):
        * gtk/gtklabel.c: (gtk_label_size_request):
        * gtk/gtkprogressbar.c: (gtk_progress_bar_size_request):
        Don't pass NULL to pango_context_get_metrics. Use
        pango_context_get_language instead, which is way faster.

   That may make a substantial difference in startup times.

Regards,
						Owen