environment (/etc/profile) and X

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:39:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:12:15 -0500, Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> wrote:
> We spent a lot of time fixing this several years ago, must have gotten
> busted somehow.
> Be sure there's a bugzilla...

I'm not that sure its busted out-of-the-box ... my delete key works
just fine in gnome-term and xterm running in a gnome-desktop  started
from gdm out of runlevel 5 using the prefdm mechanism. INPUTRC is set
and as far as I can tell reading through the prefdm logic...
/etc/profile gets called exactly once  inside the /usr/bin/gdm
script, assuming the test -f /etc/profile  succeeds.  Sounds to me
like someone has made a local change to the script logic either in
prefdm or in /usr/bin/gdm

-jef"this explains why /usr/bin/gdm is a script just to setup
/etc/profile before starting gdm-binary"spaleta