rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Jan 21 17:51:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 18:05 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> Ah... running on /usr/share/icons alone will not help. But after figuring
> out the expected 'icon-theme.cache' files, I executed the command for the
> 5 requested directories. Then gedit starts significantly faster.

Whoops, right.  Sorry.

> Unfortunately, the cache must be renewed manually when things change
> there and I have ugly 'icon-theme.cache' files which are not covered by
> the package-management.

An "ugly" filename buried in /usr or ~/.icons is absolutely nothing bad.
All those weird linux-* files in /boot are pretty ugly, too...

The cache files should be part of any packaged themes.  Probably should
be a bug report requesting this if they are not already.  The user theme
installer needs to be running this on install as well if it doesn't
already.  (Would be more likely to happen if GNOME had a real theme
format so installing icon themes using the theme installer was actually
easier than just unpacking from file-roller... or should all icon themes
come with the icon-theme.cache file pre-generated from now on?)