Re: further package removals/potential package removals

Enrico Scholz wrote:

Jamie Zawinski <jwz jwz org> writes:

For example: I don't use Windows, ever. This means I don't use Samba.
But I can't uninstall it, because Nautilus depends on it. Now, I don't
use Nautilus either, but I can't just uninstall *that*, because
control-center depends on it, which I *do* use.

ACK; some packages should be split to avoid such dependencies. 'gnupg' (which brings 'perl' and 'openldap' into the game (additional 50MB)) and 'kernel' (which wastes 30MB and 6000 inodes of my /) are packages coming at first into my mind...

ACK ACK: packages should be split, dependencies (at least those that are automagically
generated, the majority these days) are not the problem.

If space is tight, the first thing I do is nuke everything except en_US
under /usr/share/locale/ and /usr/lib/locale/

Just do 'echo "%_install_langs C:en" >>/etc/rpm/macros' and reinstall
everything (as anaconda neither sets it on fresh installs nor honors it
on upgrades).

Yep.

And no matter what (fairly arcane and obscure) flaws there are
   %_netsharedpath /usr/share/doc
is at least as good a solution as
   cd /usr/share/doc
   rm -rf *
for preventing files from being installed in /usr/share/doc.

Assuming that is what you want to do.

73 de Jeff

Enrico