Re: RFC: Soname in rpm name

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Peter Backlund wrote:

[snip]

solution. I've searched a bit, and it seems that Mandrake and Debian both
have a policy to include the library soname in the package name :
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmHowToAdvanced#Library_policy

Unrelated, but I have to ask: what is the purpose of defining name/version/release like this:

%define name    gtkmm
%define version 1.2.4
%define release 1mdk

and then:

Name:           %{name}
Version:        %{version}
Release:        %{release}

I've seen it in a number of spec files.

I don't see the point of defining name/version/release *twice*. ??

Also, this reply didn't really answer the original question, which was, how to release rpm's to provide multiple versions of the same shared library.

-- Rex