suggests/requires in rpm

Darrin Thompson darrint at progeny.com
Mon Jan 24 15:06:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 09:16 -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> A busted mirror or a missing dependency will stop a seurity update far
> more effectively
> than "missingok", don't fool yerself.

Certainly. But could missingok ever ever ever stop a security update? Of
course not, so long as packagers or package manager authors don't do
anything stupid. :-D

I think what bothers me about this is that I'm having trouble
identifying what I trust in the before missingok scenario vs. what I
mistrust in the after scenario. I think it's that the correct use of the
feature is distributed so widely that it would be hard for me to
reestablish trust in the new regime.

My guess is that you are right about this. It's just that there's a lot
more to it than meets the eye. I have a little trouble getting my head
around all of it.

I have to be cautious because I have customers who want their precious,
(pant pant) PRECIOUS security updates.

--
Darrin