RFC: Soname in rpm name

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jan 24 20:22:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 20:06 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:34:03AM +0100, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
>
> > http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmHowToAdvanced#Library_policy
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html
> >
> > How about a similar policy for Fedora ? Is it the best solution to this
> > problem ?
>
> I think this is an area, where other distributions have found nice
> solutions and Fedora/Red Hat should simply use one of the existing
> policies (instead of creating one from scratch).

I sort of agree, but shipping such packages should be done only if
absolutely necessary in FC/FE.  Carrying backwards compatibility baggage
is not something that aligns well with the project's objectives IMO.
See eg. points 5 and 7 in Objectives (and maybe 3 in Non-Objectives) at
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html

Of course, there are other distributions with other kinds of focuses
than the Fedora one where doing this soname-in-name thing might actually
be a good general rule of thumb rather than an ugly exception.