Re: RFC: Soname in rpm name

Unrelated, but I have to ask: what is the purpose of defining name/version/release like this:

%define name    gtkmm
%define version 1.2.4
%define release 1mdk

I do this -

at very top of spec file:

%define my_build yjl.1

Then in the normal place

Name: foobar
Version: 20.12
Release: 3.%{my_build}

-=-
That makes more sense to me than defining name and then using Name: with the defined %{name} macro.

But that's just me.
In the future I may define what release/distro it is being built for - but I don't think so, my packages are intended to be installed via yum which should take care of that - by grabbing them from the right directory.