Re: slow hard drives crushing interactivity

Bill Nottingham wrote:

Havoc Pennington (hp redhat com) said:

Maybe a cap on process size, so there can be 1G virtual memory but an
individual app can only use 512M? Maybe when a process reaches 512M we
could suspend it and ask the user whether to let it grow further?

You can set rlimits; you can also turn off overcommit. Doesn't help
the yum/rpm case, of course.

Well threre's really only a single read(2) and write(2) for all I/O in rpm, I could perhaps add a configgerable and context sensitive nanosleep if I/O is the bottleneck ;-)

73 de Jeff