kernel-devel: should yum install, not update?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Jan 25 07:51:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>> It has often been suggested to add a new rpm tag for this
>> purpose. E.g. you could have
>>
>> UpdateMode: (installation|alwaysupgrade)
>>
>> or
>>
>> AutoUpgrade: no
>>
>> rpm 4.4 would be a good candidate to get this in.
>>

> Not going to happen in rpm-4.4, or in *.rpm packaging.
>
> There is no way for the packager to determine how a package should be
> installed on client machines, and so the value needs to be dynamic, not
> static, configuration on the install, not the build, machine.

How about putting this info into rpm *configuration*, instead of each and
every depsolver's config? The downside of that is of course that
customizing your favorite depsolver now consists of tweaking more than
just depsolver configuration, but at least
a) rpm could ship with reasonable defaults for the distro
b) we'd have one definite place where this is set

The depsolvers would only need to switch from their internal mechanisms to
looking up the configuration from rpm which should be easy enough, rpm
itself would need some further modification if it's to honor the config.

Me, I don't personally much care where that info comes from...

 	- Panu -