stock kernel 2.6.10 reboots after selinux

I tried to recompile the stock 2.6.10 kernel (from kernel.org, no patches) on my
IBM X40 laptop (very nice machine by the way), by copying the stock .config from
the latest Fedora kernel and pruning a few harwdare items that obviously do not
exist on my PC.

When I boot, I get a bunch of selinux messages, then immediately after a
"Restarting system..." message, which indeed does what it says...

This is not very important, so please do not spend time on this, but if you
could point the right direction in my research for solving this problem...

Many thanks in advance,

--
Jean-Luc