grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Trond Eivind Glomsrød teg at pvv.org
Thu Jan 27 12:09:52 UTC 2005

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 10:44 +0100, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
>

>>Casper Pedersen wrote:
>>

>>>Depends on how you see it; xmms is nice, small, and might not be
>>>pretty, but it works. RythmBox is big and slow to use with very large
>>>collections of files, but it is pretty.
>>>

>>Personally, I think xmms looks better. It's plain, but displays what it
>>should and doesn't take a lot of screen estate.
>>

>It has awful skins, does not integrate with the rest of the desktop,
>and does *not* look better.

Taste differs.

>>it manages to be huge
>>and cluttered while not displaying much)
>>

>It's not supposed to be on-screen all the time - you're supposed
>to choose what to play and minimize it, or run it in mini mode.

I typically just put it on a screen I never visit.

>It's a nice browser for music collections.  I am just waiting for
>it to finally integrate with musicbrainz, and support a radio station
>browser.

I just don't think it does that in a good way...

>>and sloooooooow. When trying to
>>add my music collection (5000 songs or so... got way too many CDs), xmms
>>is finished in an instant.
>>

>Does xmms let you search?

Yes.

> Does it organize by genre? By album? Does it support drag and drop playlist editing?
>Radio stations? Does it minimize in the notification area?

Do I like ITunes? Yes. I just happen to think that Rhythmbox does it
really badly...

>> Rhythmbox just stays unresponsive for 30 mins
>>using all CPU, not displaying any progress or letting you do anything.
>>

>I have about half your collection, and by extrapolating I can tell that
>this this is a huge exaggeration on any modern machine.

I wish. Unfortunately, I'm not. Maybe its just slower on mp3s? (systems
I've tried this on is an Athlon 2200+ and Centrino 1.4 MHz, both with a
bit of RAM).

> Furthermore
>you're not supposed to be adding your entire collection every time.

I do it because get fed up and kill it eventually, before it finishes...
besides, I would do it often anyway, as I encode new CDs with grip/lame
and just think it's easier to add the top dir to scan for new files.

>You do that once, so speed is a non-issue.

Not when it is so slow and uninformative that you're convinced it must
have crashed.