Eclipse 3.1 (was Re: rawhide report: 20050126 changes)

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Thu Jan 27 16:51:39 UTC 2005

* Andrew Overholt <overholt at redhat.com> [2005-01-26 09:47]:

> I'm hoping to go back to a 3.1 milestone build before FC4.

Looking at the schedules for Eclipse 3.1 [1] and FC4 [2], I see the
following:

Eclipse 3.1 M6 (stable build, API freeze):  2005-04-01
FC4 Absolute devel freeze:  2005-05-02
Eclipse 3.1 M7 (stable build, development freeze, etc.):  2005-05-13
FC4 Release open, announced:  2005-06-16

I'd like to ship a 3.1 M6 (or some stable incremental build between then
and FC4 freeze) with FC4 and then update to M7 and 3.1 final as they come
out.

Choices:

  a) ship as above
  b) ship 3.0.x

3.1 Pros:
  - between now and then we get to spend lots of time testing and getting
    things pushed upstream
  - this is where all development is happening
  - awesome new plugins like Jeff Pound's ongoing work on the Bugzilla
    plug-in are dependent upon 3.1 (without a tonne of back-porting)
  - making RPMs will be much simpler than how we're doing the 3.0.1 now
  - upstream supports many more architectures than they did with 3.0.1

3.1 Cons:
  - lots of stuff that may not work with libgcj4/gij4
  - a lot less tested than 3.0.x

3.0.x Pros:
  - well-tested, established, stable code
  - already have RPMs and know they build okay with gcj4
  - will be the latest upstream _released_ version

3.0.x Cons:
  - old code where new features are not being added
  - will need back-porting if we want new things
  - build is a bit of a mess (especially for arches that were unsupported
    upstream)

I'd like to go with 3.1, but we'll need to do lots of testing and
bug-fixing.  The number of gcj/libgcj hackers capable of fixing bugs isn't
that high and even getting things down to test cases is not an easy task.
I'd like to hear people's opinions.

Thanks,

Andrew

[1]