Re: grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

> Quite a few of us would like to see software we do personally use pushed
> to Extras.

Hi, I haven't been following this discussion, but I'd like to say that
I don't want to see software I use pushed to extras due to the fact
that Extras is not sync-ed to Rawhide. I am a rawhide beta tester, and
extras is a pain for me to use. Do you know what kind of hackery is
required to get the Nvidia driver from livna properly installed on a
rawhide system? That's because Livna, like extras, is not sync-ed to

I'd like to see a rawhide-tracking extras, and I've asked this question
before. I was explained that there are no resources for it. Until
resources are found I suggest this be taken into account.

By the way, that also implies you will get no testing for extras
packages, leading to more bugs not being discovered until release.

>  I use Epiphany over Firefox, for example, but if Firefox is
> the official Fedora Browser, then I want Epiphany in Extras. That would
> in no way stop me from using Epiphany, since I could just install it
> from Extras.  The impact on my life by moving Epiphany is essentially
> nil, but it does result in a smaller, leaner, easier to manage, faster
> to download _Operating System_ for others.

Personally I don't get this whole "move to extras" thing.
I assume it has something to do with fitting on fewer CDs, but I don't
really care since I never install from CD.

P.S. Speaking of the Nvidia driver, will somebody please consider
splitting xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-devel and xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-devel in
their own packages where they belong. I tried discussing this with the
maintainer, but he disappeared in the middle of the discussion and the
bug was left unresolved, pending FC4, which makes no sense to me.

Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 cornell edu>
Cornell University