grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 28 16:54:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 17:35 +0100, Peter Backlund wrote:
> fre 2005-01-28 klockan 09:17 -0700 skrev Ivan Gyurdiev:
> > > Quite a few of us would like to see software we do personally use pushed
> > > to Extras.
> >
> > Hi, I haven't been following this discussion, but I'd like to say that
> > I don't want to see software I use pushed to extras due to the fact
> > that Extras is not sync-ed to Rawhide. I am a rawhide beta tester, and
> > extras is a pain for me to use. Do you know what kind of hackery is
> > required to get the Nvidia driver from livna properly installed on a
> > rawhide system? That's because Livna, like extras, is not sync-ed to
> > rawhide.
>
> Would you mind sharing exactly what you had to do? Or perhaps open a bug
> on bugzilla.livna.org.

Well,

If you don't install the livna packages xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL breaks your
system at every upgrade, and you can't get rid of it (because it's
required).

However you can't install the nvidia-glx package, because it depends
on the kernel module, which needs to be recompiled per kernel,
and Livna does not sync to rawhide.

Furthermore the driver distributed is not patched for well-known bugs
with the patches here:
http://www.minion.de/files/1.0-6629/

So, to summarize, my best option is to use the nvidia-distributed
installer, extract, patch the driver, install it, generate a fake
provides rpm, install the nvidia-glx package on top of that,
and disable the startup script for nvidia (because the module
as installed by nvidia is not where the livna rpm puts it,
so it doesn't work).

Then, there's xorg-x11-devel which owns the libGL.so link, which
happens to be a dead link, because the Mesa package is not installed.
I have to move the GL devel stuff around and redirect the link to the
nvidia files every time xorg-x11-devel is updated, or I can no longer
build wine-cvs with openGL support.

Really to resolve this the following is needed:

- updated livna nvidia package to include more patches
- Livna.org sync-ed against Rawhide.
- updated xorg-x11 packaging to separate the Mesa GL stuff
- some sort of alternatives system or post-install scripts to
  find correct provider of libGL.so.1

That doesn't include the SElinux bug in the strict policy where
udev needs to restorecon devices from /usr/etc/devices. I've filed
this in bugzilla and I assume it's being resolved.

> I'm not 100% sure of how runtime linking works, but if you look at a
> binary like /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears, it links to the Nvidia libraries
> when they are installed through the livna.org package, like this:

This is not a runtime issue - it's a compile time issue that I'm talking
about. I can't compile stuff against libGL.

The runtime issue is that you can't install the livna packages on
rawhide systems.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University