Our Discussion on Fedora-docs [Fwd: Re: Fedora Documentation Search Engine]

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sat Jan 29 07:02:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 15:27 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
> I thought that maybe you guys would have some input on this?

> > We heavily use Swish-e (www.swish-e.org) for the fileservers we install.
> This can handle html, xhtml, txt, pdf and the like.
>
> I've just looked at the page now, but it looks like a very useful bit of
> software.

Swish-e doesn't support incremental indexing very well (yet).  Right now
you're looking at a complete reindex every night or at least after every
change.  Swish-e doesn't support Unicode.  Although we've been
discussing (on swishe-cvs list and privately) a major overhaul for
Swish-e 3.0 to fix those things and remove the legacy Swish code.  We
could use the help of a developer who is familiar with porting
applications to Unicode.

Swish-e Resources:
  http://swish-e.org/
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/swishe/
  http://swishewiki.org/

Also, Josh Rabinowitz wrote a Perl script called sman which uses
libswish-e and SWISH::API to provide a more featureful replacement to
apropos.

If there's interest in getting Swish-e into Fedora Extras then I'd be
willing to commit any required changes upstream.  There are a few Perl
issues that have kept me from completing the RPMs.  SWISH::API is
particularly difficult to package because it assumes libswish-e is
already installed.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/