Re: radical suggestion for fc4 release

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 17:34 -0500, Nick Bargnesi wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:04:36 -0500, seth vidal <skvidal phy duke edu> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >  this is a touch silly but possibly useful and it would definitely cut
> > down on the old crap blocking up cdroms.
> >
> > how about if we kill all rpm spec file changelog entries OLDER than 2
> > years.
> >
> > they'll still live on in older srpms and rpms but it'd be a useful
> > reduction and it would make the specfiles that much smaller, along with
> > the rpm headers.
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> It'd be interesting to see how much space something like this would save first.

$ rpm -qa --changelog | wc -c
11597562

That's just a little over 11 megabytes for all change logs on a FC3
system.  I've also got non-Core packages installed which would increase
that size slightly. That's also (obviously) including changelog entries
which would not be stripped.  I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that
the total savings would be significantly smaller.  I don't think the
effort or loss of history would really be worth it.

--
Shahms E. King <shahms shahms com>
Multnomah ESD

Public Key:
http://shahms.mesd.k12.or.us/~sking/shahms.asc
Fingerprint:
1612 054B CE92 8770 F1EA  AB1B FEAB 3636 45B2 D75B