Fedora Core 5 Idea

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 10:48:09 UTC 2005

Ovidiu Lixandru wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Just because something is the default isnt going to change your
>> personal opinion on it. So instead of convincing people to adopt your
>> choices as the default it would be better to just switch the theme
>> over after the installation or during kickstart. If you do have
>> rational arguments about other set of preferences in various
>> applications, developers are more likely to hear you because it
>> generally is much more applicable to a wider set of people. I am
>> pretty sure that are dozens of other themes which some of the users
>> like which isnt being shipped in Fedora Core at all.  You should use
>> the theme sites like http://art.gnome.org or http://kde-look.org.
>> Applications that grab such themes from various sites and make the
>> end user experience in changing the themes from a wider variety more
>> transparent and easier would be a good thing to do. Thats where I
>> would like to see the effort go towards in extras or even in core
>

> You're missing the point. I said BlueCurve was chosen as a default for
> RH8 through FC3 for other reasons, because BlueCurve has never been
> the default theme in official GNOME releases.

Red Hat Linux had a development methodology that is different from
Fedora. Clear looks itself is based on the BlueCurve engine and with it
being a potential candidate for the next GNOME default theme, it makes
more sense to flow along with the upstream thing which is an explicit
Fedora design goal.

> As I said some time ago, Fedora Core is losing parts of its graphical
> identity. The desktop now starts by default with a stock GNOME theme
> which does not include a GTK1 theme, the login theme and the wallpaper
> are pretty ugly and quite unprofessional compared to the RHEL ones.

Again, You should get into the fedora-marketing list and read the
discussions there and participate if you have good design skills or even
ideas on how to go about making Fedora look attractive and better. It
seems you would rather choose your distribution based on the theme and
wallpapers rather than switching it over to what fit your tastes better.
I am pretty sure any given theme isnt going to please everyone

regards
Rahul