OT - Re: Fedora Core 5 Idea

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Mon Jul 4 04:26:25 UTC 2005

Paul wrote:

>>I don't want to start a flame war here, but the r200 open-source
>>driver is *very* fast and very high quality.
>
> Maybe I should revisit them on my old 9000 card ... when I used to use
> them they did not do mult-texturing and did not support s3tc compressed
> textures.   I don't believe the texture compression issue is fixed
> because of patent issues.

GL_ARB_multitexture is supported in new Mesa, but I'm not
sure if it's accelerated on r200.

s3tc _is_ supported for radeon, r200 and Intel chipsets,
altough encumbered code is kept in a separate library to
avoid legal problems for Mesa:

  http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/s3tc_index.html

>>Even though glxgears isn't a comrehensive benchmark suite, I'd
>>like to point out that I get 2800-3000 fps with a Radeon 8500
>>card using the latest CVS code.  NVidia cards usually score
>>less than 2000 fps.
>
> Hmmm I'm getting the following on a nVida 5700 Ultra (a far from top
> range nVidia Card)
> [subsolar at azure ~]$ glxgears
> 20495 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4099.000 FPS
> 27532 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5506.400 FPS
> 27474 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5494.800 FPS
> 27347 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5469.400 FPS
> 27244 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5448.800 FPS

Oops, perhaps I've been avoing NVidia cards for too
long :-)

BTW, NVidia is the only binary driver for Linux that
doesn't suck and works fine even with latest versions
of the kernel.

(that's just a technical consideration, it doesn't
mean we should all be depending on it).

\X/  http://www.develer.com/