new in 2005-7-9 glibc: no more LinuxThreads

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl4 at iadonisi.to
Sat Jul 9 14:06:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 14:33 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:01:12 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> > In the last year we've hardly heard about
> > any problem related to LT vs NPTL and the F4 switch to default to linking
> > with NPTL also didn't cause any problems we know of.
>
> That's because people got the message that you guys didn't care, not
> because the programs that needed LinuxThreads magically disappeared.

  Of course, 'you guys' should be translated 'Linux kernel and glibc
developers' and not 'Red Hat' or 'Fedora' folks.  As Ulrich said in his
original post...LT is discontinued *upstream*.
  Aside from all other technical issues, it thoroughly amazes me that
Red Hat still gets most of the flack for the move NPTL when it is an
UPSTREAM movement.  Red Hat just happened to be the first (or only?) one
(that I know of) to back-port it to the 2.4 kernel.  Whether or not Red
Hat developed it originally or not shouldn't matter...it's been accepted
upstream.

> I'm not expecting sympathy from you. These days I don't play many
> games anyway. However, don't assume that silence on the matter means there
> are no problems. It means people got tired of being told that the programs
> they use don't matter.

  Well, I guess those silent folks (both of them) will just have to
stick to Red Hat's Mothers' Day release.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator