rawhide report: 20050711 changes

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Tue Jul 12 12:37:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 01:25 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> 1. I think you're confusing vocal contingent on /. and osnews with
> 'majority'

I am not. I am judging from my first hand experience: mine, and the
folks that I know. I know, my experience is totally irrelevant, as is
the opinion of many users on /. or osnews. But there's little point in
arguing this, if you think the way this sort of change was made is cool,
let's just agree to disagree.

> 2. it's not about forcing preferences it is about making sure the code
> is maintainable and not riddled with exceptions for corner cases and
> optional menus and ridiculous configuration dialogs.

This is such a geeky argument... People are complaining about a menu
removal, and somehow we're talking about code maintainability. Maybe
this sort of argument works on newbies, but please! I've been in the
business all my life to know that:
  1. One has nothing to do with the other. If having the menu there is
part of the requirements, you code accordingly.
  2. If having _one_ menu there screws up the code beyond repair,
removing it will not help you any since the folks writing it have no
clue to begin with.

And shutting people up every time they complain that this is
fedora-devel, and not some upstream list is also bad policy IMO: at the
end of the day, people use Fedora Core, and they'll judge the overall
result, with little thought of where bad decisions come from. This is a
good forum to discuss these problems, if not we might as well close down
the list.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.