NetworkManager

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Fri Jul 15 07:19:59 UTC 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 22:16, Dan Williams wrote:
> NM blows away
> your /etc/resolv.conf because it uses a local caching nameserver to
> deal with horrible glibc resolver dropouts when network switches
> occur. That's not likely to change, what may change would be the
> ability to add custom entries to the caching nameserver's config.

I don't use NM yet, but I also use local DNS as well to get around this
problem and also to add another very nice feature: Union two domains
together.  You can't do this with resolver.  Each nameserver
in /etc/resolv.conf needs to be a complete set that are identical to
other.  It will not say, "hey I can't find foo in nameserver 1, so let
me go find it in nameserver 2."

However, local DNS, can say, "hey foo is in bar.com, so i'm going to
look up these set of forwarders that work for bar.com; for everything
else, I'll look up these other set of forwarders".

Unioning of domains really bit me in the butt for my laptop use when
connecting to the internet and to our corporate VPN.  By using local
DNS, I also sculpt the packets better by not always trying to resolve
against the VPN-provided DNS servers.

If this type of setup was added to NM, it would be very, very nice.

Anyway, just my experience with the issue. YMMV.

--
-jeff