No more right click terminal

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:26:50 UTC 2005

On 7/15/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> So now I'm standing here with metacity. Cannot even save window
> positions, set positional attributes, nothing. To get extremely simple
> things like "drag window to next virtual desktop by just taking it with
> ALT key and dragging it around" I need to install additional software...

Why do you insist on expanding this discussion to include more and
more upstream decision making? This isnt constructive.

> It's not about defaults. It's about removing/changing fundamental
> functionality all the time. GNOME is more and more like Windows. I
> feel more and more reminded on times where I had to use a Windows NT
> desktop with TeraTerm/Putty all over the place.

Again.. these concerns about general trends in gnome development
should be expressed to the upstream project lists to be most
effective.  I am telling you as a matter of fact, that discussions of
this nature have their best chance of resulting in action if they are
done upstream of any one distributor, especially a distributor who has
make it an objective to work as closely as possible with upstream.  In
fact lengthy discussion of this nature about upstream project process
is only going to serve to drive away fedora developers from
participating in this list. Let me make it clear... nothing demands
any fedora developer
to participate or even read this list. If general ever widening
discussions about the direction of upstream projects continue to
flurish on this list, more fedora developers are going to be using
other resources to communicate about fedora specific issues to avoid
the banter about problems upstream of fedora.  Noone has the ability
to keep up with all the lists, and this list becomes less relevant for
fedora developers when people choose not to show restraint by keeping
discussion from spiralling into a general one-sided argument about the
woes of upstream projects.

If I my goal was to submarine your concerns, I would encourage you to
continue to talk in a forum where I know your comments have little
chance of impacting upstream decisions.  In fact...now that i think
about it.. I think you are wrong on several counts and I think gnome
is best served by making sure your opinions never influence the
direction of the project. Please continue to talk about this on
fedora-devel.. do NOT take your concerns upstream.  Thank you for
helping my realize that my efforts to drive discussion to the
appropriate location only serves to work against my own personal
desires in what gnome is doing.  From now on, I will make sure I only
attempt to drive discussion to the appropriate place for discussion
that I judge to be worthwhile, instead of making in effort at all to
encourage opinions that differ with my own to be expressed where they
will be heard by the right people so they can be considered in an
informed way.

-jef"this post is off topic.. but please continue to discuss this
matter here as to avoid bothering upstream with your bad ideas"spaleta