No more right click terminal

Joshua Eichorn josh at bluga.net
Fri Jul 15 23:44:23 UTC 2005

Brent D. Norris wrote:

>>If my mom every has to use the command line to do anything its a bug.  I
>>get a phone call if the auto saving password cookie in gmail gets unset
>>and she has to log in.
>>
>>The terminal might be nice for us geeks, but its Scary to most users.
>>
>>I mean just give it up, for most users the speed up a terminal gives is
>>never worth it, 10 hours of training to use a terminal would never be
>>made up in speed gains for most users.  And most users need a whole lot
>>more then 10 hours of training.
>>

>Not to be mean (seriously, no your momma joke here), but just because your
>mom can't understand these things and doesn't want to use them doesn't
>mean there aren't _normal_ everyday users that want to.  There are normal
>users that want to use the text based publishing languages, should they
>stop using those and be forced to use Scribus instead?
>
>CLI has lots of uses.  The power of | and > are enough in my opinion to
>prove that, and there are lots of uses for those beyond system admin and
>developer.
>
>Brent

Where in there conversation anywhere did anyone every say no one should
every use the cli again.

Yep it never happened.

What was said, was if someone like my mom has to us the cli to solve a
problem its a bug.

They also said we should remove the content menu to get to the terminal
cause it scares people like my mom.
Who btw outnumber technical users by a large amount, and are the large
reason why stores like best buy and comp usa sell lots of computers
running windows.

Now whats so bad about removing the context menu, you can put it back
using already written software that even has extra features.
Its just a matter of getting it packaged and added to extras.

This argument became pointless a long time ago, but at least look at the
real issue, instead of pretending someone is trying to take your
terminal away.
-josh