No more right click terminal

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Jul 16 00:20:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 05:20:39AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >People here just want to start a shell window as effectively as
> >possible, as it's their main tool working with the desktop systems all
> >day
> >
> May I suggestion that such people add a icon to their panel or use a
> shortcut to launch this?

No. With that reasoning you can immediately scratch the right-click menu
alltogether. It carries such all-important used-all-the-time options
like "Change Desktop Background", "Create Launcher" etc. You can put
all that stuff elsewhere and use the right-click menu for stuff that's
REALLY used all the time by actual users.

> >The path I could live with would be an option somewhere (not too hidden)
> >to enable the "Open Terminal" option again. For whatever's sake, disable
> >it by default,
>
> Seems faily reasonable if the current architecture allows that.

Perhaps thinking a step further makes sense, and making this menu
user-configurable, so people can add their fav tools right there.
This wouldn't only serve the very few terminal users out there who
suffer the lack of appropriate point-and-click tools, but also other
folks who regularily need to fire up apps and scripts.

Perhaps such an extension would even be accepted upstream. You know, to
serve all the other distros using GNOME. :-)

Best regards,
Daniel