No more right click terminal

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Jul 16 00:33:22 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 08:09:01PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > People here just want to start a shell window as effectively as
> > possible, as it's their main tool working with the desktop systems all
> > day (and no, it's not a very special application like Audio Editing
> > suite). Asking people to install another package (first they have to know
> > that it actually exists and how it's named - IIRC someone else pointed
> > out this very obvious way) for something that simple is ridiculous.
>
> By "effective," don't you mean efficient?

Yes, sorry. English is unfortunately not my native language. :-Z

> If you wanted to start a shell as *efficiently* as possible, you
> wouldn't use the GUI at all; you'd be working in a tty all day.

No. As I need to have several shells visible side-by-side all the time,
and interact with Firefox and sometimes OpenOffice.

There is not just black and white. There are shades of grey, too. "Best
of both worlds" approach.

> If you *had* to use the GUI for some other reason, the most efficient
> way to open a shell would be by assigning a keyboard shortcut.

No, as that would conflict with the terminals, wouldn't it? So I would
need to move the mouse out of the application/terminal windows to have
the desktop getting input focus... OOPS, impossible with metacity! And

> The amount of
> time it takes to move your hand away from the terminal -- where you're
> probably working already, judging by the fact that it's your "main tool"
> -- and then maneuver the mouse and click it twice is *MUCH GREATER* than
> the amount of time it takes to hit Shift+Ctrl+T (for example).

Yes, but I need to grab the mouse anyway to position the new terminal
window where I need it. So my usual action to open a new terminal is
to grab the mouse, right-click, move a few pixels to the very first
option "Open Terminal", left-click, and then drag the window where it
needs to be. Beat this. You can't.

Now if metacity would actually pop the window ready-to-drag under the
mouse pointer (drop where it should be by left-click... you know, all
the stuff fvwm had many many years ago already), even that could be
optimized, as no mouse movement to fetch the newly popped up window (in
the left upper corner, where the average mouse movement necessariy is
max) would be necessary anymore.

So opening a new terminal would be:

- right click
- move mouse a millimeter
- left click
- move mouse to where the term/app should go
- left click

=> done. THAT is efficient. :-)

Regards,
Daniel