No more right click terminal

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sat Jul 16 16:15:28 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 11:12 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 03:13 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
>
> > I wasn't kidding. I've installed FC3 on my g/f box. She is a _very_
> > non-technical user by any conceivable measure. However, she needed
> > access to a terminal day one, and now she always has one opened.
>
> Why did she need a terminal?

OK, IIRC it was mainly:
  -- access to yum update/install
  -- access to scp

The scp one is tough to replace, because he needs to copy files back
and forth from my box. I can't see an easy way out from this one.
And to be honest, now she uses (by her own will BTW despite my
suggestion to use gedit) vim to edit files in a Terminal.

(On a side note, I don't blame her: gedit takes 2s to load on my
3GHz/1GB box, and when it starts it has the silly tab that takes
up vertical real-estate even if I only have a single file opened.
She has a 500MHz box, much slower so it's a much longer wait :().

> That's not at all what most of the responses were; see for example:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-July/msg00308.html

For sure not most. And there was nothing even special about this thread,
but rather it was more "the straw that broke the camel's back".

The thread turned into a useful conversation even if it became partly a
bit of a flame fest lately. Kudos to the Red Hat folks who managed to
bring this back to rationality.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.