No more right click terminal

Sun Jul 17 21:32:02 UTC 2005

Le vendredi 15 juillet 2005 à 17:16 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 14:32 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > On Jul 13, 2005, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Think of it this way: what if GNOME's historical audience had been
> > > musicians?  Then the right click menu might have had
> > > "Open Musical Score Composer".  Having that makes as much sense to the
> > > general population as "Open Terminal" does.
> >
> > FWIW, when I first introduced Cygwin to a musician friend of mine, he
> > absolutely *loved* the ability to issue commands without having to
> > point and click, and the ability to write scripts to automate common
> > or repetitive tasks.
>
> If your friend can write scripts, that means he or she has a level of
> technical knowledge we can not expect of all users.

My mother used DOS commands to load fonts in her printer back when it
was necessary. She'll still use any series of command I'll write down
for her.

On the other hand she does not know what a "window" or a "click" are
despite working all day in a GUI. If I ever try to explain her anything
that involves the GUI she'll get mad at me because she does not know how
the various GUI objects are named (or behave) and does not want to
learn.

Terminals are not about technical users. Sometimes they're the only tool
for total computer illiterates.

--
Nicolas Mailhot