No more right click terminal

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 22:12:47 UTC 2005

On 7/17/05, Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> And unfortunately it's a bad distinction.
> The real one is repetitive/non repetitive tasks.
> Anything repetitive will always be better served by a rigid interface
> like a terminal, not something as changing as the GUI.
>
> Just go look at any POS system - you'll never find even such a basic
> thing as a mouse cursor. And the people using them have no CS doctorates
> (at least most of them)

Are you on crack?  There are many POS systems that have 'GUIS" and and
driven by a touch screen interface instead of a "mouse" without
exposing a terminal or a full keyboard.
The existence of a "mouse cursor" is not the definition of a "GUI"

The WaWa convience store  sub sandwich ordering interface has no
terminal.. no cmdline..it has no keyboard.. but it certaintly is a
"graphical" "user" "interface".. i see normal people use it all the
time... the interface even gives you a nice solid sounding "click"
sound when you press a "button" on the touch screen.  You can do your
whole sandwich order looking at nothing but the graphical depiction of
each sandwich and condiment.. I could have used one of those marvelous
"graphical interfaces" when i was in Budapest back in the day.  No
mouse or mouse cursor because touch screen interfaces that are
designed well  can avoid the  need a mouse and thus the depiction of a
cursor. But it is a GUI... and it is a form of POS.  Additionally Many
of the self-checkout stations in grocery stores in my area also have
"GUI" POS systems that don't expose a commandline or a physical
keyboard or mouse. The have a barcode scanner and a touch screen.. and
a software keyboard to use when the barcode reader fails.

-jef"drowning in hyperbole and over-statement"spaleta