/dev/random changes

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Jul 20 11:21:52 UTC 2005

It seems that the behavior of /dev/random has changed recently in rawhide.

I have a machine configured to use an encrypted swap space with /dev/random as
the source for the key via the "-d /dev/random" option to cryptsetup.

Until recently the command "cryptsetup -d /dev/random create swap /dev/hda2"
completed in a reasonable amount of time.  Now it will hang almost
indefinitely (I've waited for over 16 minutes).  Pressing the SHIFT, CTRL, and
ALT keys repeatedly during the boot process can make cryptsetup complete in
as little as a second.

It seems to me that previous kernels used some entropy that's available during
boot (such as interrupts from the hard disk) and recent kernels have stopped
doing so.

Is this a bug or a feature?