Exec-shield and memory randomization

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Sat Jul 30 18:54:01 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 10:29 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> AvdV> I wonder why the app breaks; randomisation doesn't do anything
> AvdV> weird at all, in fact even before this stuff got in there was
> AvdV> some extend of randomisation already.
>
> Haven't Lisp systems historically been problematic with respect to any
> changes in memory layout?

It seems like it. I don't know enough about SBCL internals (yet), to
know exactly why this it's tripping up SBCL. My hunch is that sbcl uses
certain memory areas for storing different types of data and can
therefore use some sort of pointer arithmetic on some bits of a pointer
to quickly determine what type is being pointed at. That's just a hunch,
however.

In general, most of the Lisp-like systems seem to want more control over
memory placements.

--
Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com>