What next?

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Wed Jun 1 21:05:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:59:32PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:20:18PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> >   desktop - as it is possible with about all other WMs. metacity is
> >   just inferior). Doesn't have to be Enlightenment, but please... :-)
>
> XFCE should be in extras. End of problem

So when I install XFCE, do I get the exact same desktop just with some
added functionality, or do I have to spend some hours of integration
work so that things "work together" properly again? I tried to go
down this road with Enlightenment after RH has thrown it out of the
window and it was pain and I gave up finally.

> > - tool support to setup X 3D acceleration (OpenGL) stuff. I'm always
> >   having a HARD time getting 3D accel to work.
>
> This should work out of the box and thats what I'd like to see happen not
> more config tools - do you really need tools ?

My wording wasn't good I guess. What I meant was that when the installer
detects e.g. a Matrox card, it should (by default or optionally) just
set up all the 3D accel stuff like agpgart and DRM module loading,
X.org config like DRI and GLX etc. It should "just work". I've spend
literally hours recently to get my G550 going with 3D accel and only
succeeded half-way (X.org is now saying "rendering enabled" but glxinfo
says "no rendering"). Had my G200 working fine (also after some hours
of googling and mergin all the tips and hints together into a working
setup).

Best regards,
Daniel