What next?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Jun 1 22:58:23 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> said:
> What about stretching out the dev cycle from 3months dev + 3 months of
> testing to something more like 6 months of dev + 3 months of testing.

How about deciding what the major goals of the next release should be
(within reason of course), estimating about how long it should take to
meet those goals, and then add in whatever else seems reasonable in the
given time frame?

Fedora Core is not a marketing driven project like the commercial
distros; releases need not be done on a fixed schedule.  Instead, they
should be made when there is something worth making a major release and
based on technology goals.

> And if we want anaconda with yum repo support, and pup and new yum
> doodads, and the new buildsystem, etc, etc, etc, I think we need to
> start discussing stretching out the release cycle a bit to get the
> infrastructure bits done.

That would be a big plus; before diving in to the next release, get the
infrastructure done.  I think anaconda with repo support should be a
requirement for Extras to be considered "tier 1", but Extras also needs
to be able to operate smoothly (mostly) automatically so you have more
time to work on yum and such.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>