What next?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jun 2 00:51:34 UTC 2005

> 99.9% of users seem to disagree with you, judging by how often "Linux
> should use appfolders like Macs do" is heard on various forums and mailing
> lists.

Probably because seem to think that the appfolder way is the thing that
would automatically solve people's install problems on Linux, but ...

> MacOS X packaging works reliably for end users, 100% of the time, and
> from that perspective it doesn't matter how many features it has or
> doesn't have, it's better than yum/rpm/any Linux packaging system.

... in reality the problem is not because of rpm/... vs. appfolders, the
"problem" is that there is only ONE MacOSX and there are several linux
distro's.  People need to learn to treat, say, Fedora + extras as ONE
distro, and only install from there, and their problem is solved.

If they don't, then appfolders won't help them either - they will end up
installing appfolders that conflict with their distro and were actually
intended for another distro.

In short, what people who say "linux should use appfolders like ..."
mean is "please solve my install problems" which in practice would
translate to "please have only 1 linux".

Thomas

Please put me somewhere near the sea
With one carrion angel waiting for me
who'll be holding my heart in it's hand
But most of all I'd like to go with a friend